The issue of sexualized violence and inherent misogyny in our culture is so deeply pervasive, it can become overwhelming to even begin to break down cultural norms and recognize sexualized violence for what it is. It requires a lot of courage and introspection into our own behavior and that of those we love and respect.
The below list will get continuously longer as the days and weeks progress. It’s very easy to get “rape culture fatigue,” so I implore you to read and learn and educate yourselves for the safety of us all but to do so in manageable chunks. Otherwise, one can be so overwhelmed that shutting this out and burying one’s head in the sand seems like a great idea.
Please help us make this a safe community for everyone. Care for yourself and reach out for support when needed.
Basic Rape Culture and Meet the Predators
- “Meet the Predators” – Yes Means Yes Blog. Not the men in the bushes. They look just like everyone else.
- “Predators Redux” – Yes Means Yes Blog.
- “Rape Culture 101” – Shakesville Blog. Great resource to learn what the phrase means.
- “Rape is as American as Apple Pie” – The Nation. How we refuse to admit there is a rape problem.
- “There’s a War On, Parts 1-7.” Yes Means Yes Blog.
- “So You’re Tired of Hearing About ‘Rape Culture’?” CogentComment.
- “Rapists Who Don’t Think They’re Rapists.” Washington City Paper.
- “My Friend, The Rapist.” Captain Awkward.
- “The Missing Stair.” The Pervocracy. Excellent post on how a community forgot to tell a newcomer about their “resident rapist.” He raped her, too. This is what OWF is striving to prevent. If we know you’re a rapist, you will no longer be welcome.
- “A Nightmare Scenario.” Newly Open. Also, “A Follow Up.”
- “Ending Rape Illiteracy.” The Nation.
- “How I Became a Rape Victim.” Being Feminist.
- “Rape Only Hurts if you Fight It.” Feministe.
Boundary Violations, i. e. Sexual Assault and Rape, the spectrum
- “Mythcommuication” – Yes Means Yes Blog.
- “The Boiling Frog Principal of Boundary Violation” – Yes Means Yes Blog.
O. M. Grey’s Articles on Rape, Rape Culture, and Rape Recovery
- “The R Word“
- “A Fate Worse than Death“
- “Falsely Accused“
- “Exposing Predditors“
- “PTSD: Dissociation & Depersonalization“
- “Recovering from PTSD“
- “Words, Words, Words“
- “Not-So-Good Men Project & Enabling Rapists“
- “Responsible Community Response“
Outing Rapists & Other Predators: Name and Shame
- “Savanna Dietrich Outs her Rapists on Twitter and Facebook.” Slate.
- “Teenage Rape Victim Tweets Names of her Attackers.”
- “Morgan Shaw Fox is a Piece of Shit Rapist.” Jezebel.
- “Cocky Guy Sends Woman Unsolicited Dick Pic, Woman Sends it to his Mom.” Gawker.
- “Warning to Any Female Chicago Cosplayer.” Same guy here, and here.